If one has to name all the things made of leather, one day might not be enough. From military to fashion, automobile to furniture, there is a wide range of industries that use leather. Leather has high tensile strength and excellent heat insulation, making it a valuable material. But there are some downsides to leather. Leather is very sensitive to fluctuating temperature and susceptible to wear and tear. Leather is available in limited colour and pattern options as compared to other materials. Although leather looks good, it takes time and effort to maintain the material. The need for durable, stronger, and better-looking replacements for leather gave birth to biothane material.
Ever since the invention of biothane material, more and more industries are switching from leather to biothane. So, what is this biothane, and why is it a great alternative to leather?
Biothane is a synthetic material first manufactured by BioThane Coated webbing Corp in 1977. Biothane material has webbing or belting of polyester coated with PVC or TPU to give the material strength and enhance its durability. The type of coating used to make artificial webbing not only influences the look and feel of the end product but also determines whether it is resistant to abrasion, odour, chemicals, moisture, and other elements.
Synthetic materials like BioThane offer many advantages over leather.
- Synthetic materials like BioThane have a similar look and texture that of leather.
- Compared to leather, it’s easier to clean synthetic material.
- Synthetic materials retain their pliability and flexibility over time.
- Synthetic materials are water-resistant and don’t get affected by mould or fungus growth.
- The breaking strength of artificial material is high and predictable.
Why Choose BioThane over Leather?
- While there are plenty of plastic webbing materials available in the market, BioThane material is made of supreme quality webbing and comes in a wide range of colours and patterns
- Another critical feature of biothane material is that it is incredibly low-maintenance and long-lasting compared to leather. You can simply wipe down the dirt from BioThane with a damp cloth. Even after repeated washing, the colour doesn’t fade.
- Biothane material is faux leather, and thus, environment-friendly.
- Biothane material has plastic-coated webbing that makes it resistant to water and stain. It also lasts longer than regular leather.
- Leather requires a high level of care and maintenance as compared to biothane material. One has to be cautious while cleaning leather as it can easily get ruined in the process. However, cleaning biothane is a breeze. You can simply use a wet cloth or cleaning wipe to wipe down the dirt or oil from the biothane material, and it will be good as new. You can also soak the fabric in soapy water to clean it.
- Biothane is antimicrobial, meaning it is resistant to mould and other microbial growth.
- BioThane is free from toxic components and doesn’t present any safety and health hazards.
- Although BioThane material is soft to feel and lightweight, it is extremely strong. The break strength of biothane material can range anywhere between 400 to 3000 pounds.